SUBMISSION PERIOD CLOSED
POETRY SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: FROM A CAT’S P.O.V. (Deadline March 1, 2018)
PRIVACY NOTE: All poetry submissions, regardless of selection status, and the names and email addresses of the authors, may be shared with Annmarie Lockhart, founding editor of vox poetica, for the purposes of editorial consultation.
- You must be eighteen or older.
- Poems (hereinafter, the “work”) must be the previously unpublished, original work of the submitting author.
- Your work must be written in English, double-spaced in 12pt. Times New Roman font, and submitted by email as a .doc or .docx file attachment, or copied directly (preferred) into the body of the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The work must be complete, edited, publication-ready, consisting of up to 30 lines in length, including title and line spaces (suitable for centering, single-spaced, on one printed trade paperback page within an anthology of short stories).
- The work must be written (fully or partially) from a cat’s point of view. That is, in a cat’s voice or from a cat’s perspective.
- All genres will be considered (excluding erotica), however, more weight will be given to works of a whimsical or humorous nature.
- Most adult language is acceptable, but indiscriminate or extreme usage may affect selection.
- Multiple works by the same author will be considered but each work must be submitted separately and will be treated contractually as a separate submission.
- Simultaneous submissions are okay; but, please notify us immediately if your work has been picked up by another publisher. (Failure to advise us that your submission is no longer available can jeopardize your future standing as a contributing author.)
- You will be notified of your submission status within sixty days of receipt. If your work is selected, emailed notification will include an attached Publishing Agreement for your review and signature.
The following summarizes the major terms in the agreement, but the summary is not part of the agreement nor intended to replace the necessity to read the agreement in its entirety prior to signing.
Publication: The work will be included in an anthology book (to be named) and published in ebook format (and print formats at the discretion of the Publisher) to Amazon (Kindle), and may be published to other online retailers, such as Barnes & Noble (Nook), Apple iBook, and Kobo, at the discretion of the Publisher.
Payment: All payments will be made to contributing author by check or Paypal (preferred method) within thirty days of the ebook publication date (or sooner at Publisher’s discretion). Payment shall be in the amount of $10.00 for each poetry submission selected by Publisher and included in the published anthology.
IMPORTANT: For published pieces, Post-To-Print takes Electronic Publishing Rights and First Print. Note that most publications will not publish pieces that have been published in print, eBook, or on the web. Once your work is published by us it can only be marketed as a reprint, which severely limits the number of markets that will accept it, and drastically reduces the pay rate it can receive. It is up to you, the author, to decide if publishing your work in print and/or eBook formats and/or on the web, giving up your First Publishing Right for a token payment, is advisable.
Other consideration: Each contributing author whose work is included as a part of the published anthology will receive one electronic copy at no charge.
Contributing Author Warranties: The contributing author must warrant that s/he owns the copyright for each individual work submitted, and that the submission(s) is the original work and creation of the contributing author and only the contributing author.
Copyright: The Anthology will be copyrighted separate from each work contained therein, and individual copyright notices for each work will be printed on the appropriate front page of the publication(s) (or other location depending on the publication format).
Author Credit: In addition to the customary copyright notice, each contributing author’s work, title, and byline will be listed within the pages of the anthology book in the order of the work’s appearance, and on other pages as appropriate and customary. The presentation order of individual works will be determined at the discretion of the Publisher.
IMPORTANT: This anthology may contain a work (or works) written by Post-To-Print’s staff; however, staff submissions will never constitute a majority of works selected and will be considered as a means to fill the publication if the desired number of works is nearly met at submission deadline. Our approximate goal for publication is 80,000 words.
Cost of Publication: The Publisher will absorb all costs of production and publication, if any, i.e., costs associated with editing, cover art, and formatting. The Publisher has final say in selecting and approving cover art and cover design.
Personal Information: Each contributing author is required to provide the following personal information to the Publisher upon signing the Publishing Agreement:
- Full legal name and all pen names
- Physical address, including zip code
- Cell and/or home telephone number(s) (and the best times to reach you)
- A list of all URLs/addresses to your personal website(s) and/or blog(s), and social media accounts, including Amazon author pages, Facebook, Flicker, Goodreads, Google+, Instagram, LinkedIn, Meetup, Pinterest, and Twitter—whatever applies.
Please feel free to email me directly if you have questions that aren’t answered above. I’m looking forward to receiving your submission.
Robin Praytor, Managing Editor
Post-To-Print Publishers, LLC